After working in several disaster recovery efforts, we noticed that each organization (church, NGO, or government agency), plays their own role in a recovery effort. Some churches focus specifically on cleaning up debris, some NGO’s focus solely on collecting donations, and some government agencies focus on public safety announcements. Connecting all of the organizations on the same system improves the resilience of the community and will help the town recovery faster in future emergencies.
What are they?
In response to this, we have added two new features that we call Organization Profiles and the Resources Map. Now, every organization in your community (including churches, NGOs, and government agencies) can create and manage its own profile and contribute to the same map. This serves two purposes:
- Each organization can now collaborate with other organizations easily to meet the needs of the community.
- The public can now monitor all of the organizations and how they can offer/request help using the Resources Map, without doing extensive googling, endlessly monitoring facebook pages, or searching through millions of tweets.
How do they work?
- Each organization can create a profile to show what skills or services it can offer to the community. For example, Cold Creek Church can share that they are collecting donations from the community and offering hot meals and hot showers to those in need. This information can be seen on the organization’s profile page by all of the residents in the community.
- Each organization’s location and services are posted to the Resources Map. This makes it easy for all residents and organizations to see where they can offer/request help in the community. For example, on the map it can easily be seen that Cold Creek Church is collecting donations.
- Each organization can post updates and communicate with the entire community. For example, perhaps Cold Creek Church is organizing a volunteer effort on Friday afternoon. They can post that update to both the front page of the site and to their profile page simultaneously. Additionally, they can send an email to all of the volunteers in the system letting them know that a volunteer opportunity is available on Friday afternoon.
- Each organization can manage the donations and volunteers in the site to help meet the needs of the community. With all of the organizations working from the same database, they can now focus on using their skills and services to efficiently coordinate together.
We are always trying to improve our software to help your community and make disaster recovery smarter. Let us know what you think in the comments. Feedback (good or bad) is always welcome!