After every emergency (fire, hurricane, terrorist attack, etc.), there will be in-kind donations such as clothing, food, and supplies. Without an effective donation management system, making efficient use of these items becomes a logistical nightmare. And, unfortunately, a warehouse full of unused clothing and supplies is an all too common scene in disaster recovery.
After a disaster happens, there is an overwhelming flood of in-kind donations to an affected area that makes them difficult to collect, manage, and distribute. This difficulty can be broken down into three main problems:
- They arrive all at once (about 70% come in the first 4-7 days)
- They are collected at multiple locations
- You get a ton of items that are not needed
These problems lead to a pile of unnecessary and undocumented donations spread over a large geographic area that may never be used.
An effective donation management system must solve these problems. This can be achieved by:
- Allowing individuals to donate online into a centralized, secure database
- Allowing all recovery organizations access to the donations database
- Allowing organizations to contact donors for their donations as they are needed
This allows a community to efficiently collect and utilize all potential donations both in the immediate response and long term recovery, without having a warehouse full of unnecessary donations.
How Recovers Simplifies Donation Management
The Recovers donation management system empowers all of the organizations in a community to manage in-kind donations. How does it work?
- Individual or organization goes to his/her community’s Recovers website and enters a description of their donation and contact info.
- All vetted local organizations have access to the secure database of donations.
- The donor is contacted by an organization when his/her donation is needed.
Want to see the Recovers system in action? Check out this video: http://youtu.be/7lPgLUvwhtw